Sunday 28 August 2011

Inspiration

Last night, me and my brother watched the BBC4 special American: The Bill Hicks Story. It was something seriously powerful. I've seen some of his stand-up before, and it's not that I disliked it at all, I just didn't find it that funny. After this, however, and now knowing a little of his life history, all of a sudden I seem to have this brand new awareness and appreciation for him. Maybe the problem before was that I understood him too much, without even realising it. His observations about American society shouldn't really be funny; but then I guess you do have to take it with a pinch of salt, or else you might just become suicidal. What struck me most in the programme was how much I felt I could relate to Bill - not so much in what he did, because in that respect we couldn't be more different; but just in the way he saw things. I won't ever know, because we'll never meet. Not in this lifetime.

Anyway, this is just the way that I understand him. Example: When he did drugs (specifically mushrooms), which altered his consciousness, he became aware of the connected-ness of things, and what makes us fundamentally human - "love". (It's hard to use that word and feel serious at the same time - why is that?). This basic system of humanity is undermined by all our institutions, designed to help us function 'better', but not really effective anymore. Bill felt that we've simply evolved past them; they are defunct. I get that, I get all of it. Even without the drugs. Perhaps one of the benefits of having eyes as pale as mine is that the pupils are in a constant state of dilation. At least compared to everyone else's. And no this isn't based on any kind of science. Try to take everything I say with a pinch of salt, too.

Another thing mentioned was how he just interpreted things differently, like the Waco, TX siege of 1993. I get that, too. Like, most recently here in England, we had to deal with those riots (analysed in a somewhat typical fashion by The Daily Mail). Granted, it's not on the same scale of the Waco event. But it spread around the country; that says something, doesn't it? So many people's gut reactions to the whole event was "the rioters are simple thugs", "it's just opportunism", "they're morally bankrupt". It sickens me. Not that I ever condone violence, but whatever situations these individuals have found themselves in is what drove them to action. Not that I believe they were explicitly making a poltical statement, either. It's just visceral. What's worse is what came after that: the government's input. Especially because this government is Tory. It's all about the punishment! They blame the lack there-of; because of course the under-class, the majority, must be controlled. Let's go back to the good ol' days, eh? I'm sure we'd all rather have the cain, child labour and capitol punishment any day, right?
Victorian mill. Taken from the blog Lisa's History Room
We've evolved.

Apparently, a lot of people have respect for Bill Hicks because of his bravery. Bravery? I don't know. It was a different time and place. Perhaps. He's just telling truths - that ought to be easy. It's certainly the way I intend to do things. Honesty, honestly. I started writing this post because I was inspired. Inspired by one man's sincere social commentary. I can do that. And I will. Whenever inspiration strikes. I might not be the most intelligent person, and you might not think my writing's the most artistic. That's fine - I'm not trying to impress anyone. This is just how I think. And thought is a process, subject to change the more you learn. Don't let egos or affiliations get in the way of truths. There can be a lot of complexities involved in that, but really, they're so basic.


No comments:

Post a Comment